Strategic Marketing Operations Course
April 6 @ 18:00 - May 18 @ 21:00 PDT
Learn from anywhere!
University of California — Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley Extension
The 2020s present new realities: your Marketing Ops needs these 10 competencies:
Strategic Marketing Operations is the next-generation role that elevates marketing performance by instilling organizational accountability, alignment and agility across your marketing department. (It is not to be confused with customer relationship management, database marketing, customer acquisition, digital marketing, and analytics—topics commonly covered in other courses.)
- The Optimizer: agile marketing applied to every Marketing specialty
- The Chaos Minimizer: ease-of-work via governance, line-of-sight, policies, project management, resource management, process management
- The Social Butterfly: sharing of data, best practices, post-mortems, lessons learned, i.e. knowledge management, org learning, change management
- The Customer Conscience: build trust, mutual value and alignment to customers’ natural rhythms across lifecycle and CX journey
- The Connector: end-to-end flow, closed-loop communication, hand-off smoothness among marketers, partners and stakeholders
- The Resource Expander: budget management business cases, supplier management, marketing resource management, talent development
- The Strategic Opportunist: balance short- and long-term well-being, mutual value, collective interests, scalability, nimbleness
The new dynamics of this decade require next-gen scope expansion to connect the dots across the marketing ecosystem, optimize and expand resources and talent, facilitate organizational learning and change management, ensure customer-centricity, minimize chaos to maximize scalability, model the future, monitor value, and champion strategic opportunities.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Connect the dots between marketing strategy, guidance, processes, metrics, technology, and ecosystem
- Identify appropriate Lean/Agile techniques to increase marketing’s effectiveness and efficiency
- Guide marketing resource management decisions in budgeting, technology optimization, talent development
- Assess and directing marketing’s alignment across its internal and external stakeholders
- Elevate the C-team’s positioning of marketing from a cost center to a strategic impact center of excellence
Example of what you’ll learn:
About the Instructor: Lynn Hunsaker is co-founder of ClearAction Continuum where she is Chief Customer Officer and Chairman of the Board. She was president of Marketing Operations Partners and has written numerous articles on marketing operations (MO). She co-authored a best practices study, Journey to Marketing Operations Maturity, with Gary Katz who pioneered many MO firsts, including this course at UC Santa Cruz Extension as the world’s first higher education MO course.
Lynn is past president of Silicon Valley American Marketing Association, and her Board received AMA’s Chapter Excellence Award; she served on the SVAMA Board of Directors for 10 years. Lynn’s roles at Applied Materials (semiconductor equipment manufacturer) included Director of Marketing & Business Development, Director of Marketing Communications, Head of Global Quality, Customer Satisfaction Improvement Manager, and Voice of the Customer Manager. After receiving her MBA with concentrations in international marketing and finance from Vanderbilt University, Lynn’s role as Strategic Information Manager in Sonoco Products’ strategic planning department led to her renown as a customer experience (CX) expert. She serves on the Board of Directors for CXPA and is a top author on CustomerThink.com where she is one of five Hall of Fame award recipients. Lynn is author of four titles on Amazon Kindle, including Metrics You Can Manage for Success.
Lynn taught advertising, marketing and business at UC Berkeley Extension, Mission College and San Jose State University from 2005-2010, and marketing ops at UCSCX since 2018. Lynn is a Certified MBTI Practitioner and past president of Bay Area Association for Psychological Type. She is a Certified Quality Manager, Certified Customer Experience Professional, and AMA Professional Certified Marketer. She has traveled to 30+ countries, lived in Holland and Belgium, and is proficient in Dutch. She enjoys biking, hiking, history, cultures, psychology, mysteries, comedies and action movies.